So we all know smoking is bad for our health,but we also know it can be hard to quit.
So today we are heading straight to the expertto learn some top tips for how to kick the habit.
The first tip is the most important;make a commitment to quitting.
- [DeCamp] We have a lot of tools and aids to help you quit.
You don't have to do it alone.
You don't have to do it cold-turkey.
The average person takes five to seven timesbefore they successfully quit,but it's important to just keep doing it.
- [Jane] Next, quit with a fellow smoker,so you can motivate each other to stick to it.
- You need your sphere of influence,you're family and friends to be supportive.
It's hard if everyone around you is smoking,for you to quit smoking.
Get your significant other, your spouse,get your kids to do this with you.
- [Jane] Dr.
DeCamp also recommends making sureyou don't have easy access to cigarettes,to help manage temptation to smoke.
- So you need to get them out of your purse,the glove compartment of the car, the drawer,so that when you have a craving, it's a bitof a hassle to go find a cigarette.
- [Jane] Fourth, don't be shy about asking for help.
Make use of as many smoking cessation resources as you need.
- The most successful methods to quit smokinginvolve a combination of medication,plus or minus a nicotine replacement, and counseling.
- [Jane] Finally, recognize while you may be reachingfor a cigarette, understanding your mindsetcan help you figure out how to say no to smoking.
- If you understand what the triggers are,you understand what you associate withwanting a cigarette,and you commit yourself to changingthose psychological things,we can help you with the physical things.
Well you have to commit yourself to doing it.
It's not easy; it's difficult, but it hasa tremendous amount of health benefits down the road.
- [Jane] There you have it.
Five great tips to help you say goodbye to smoking.